Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Energy of Money

In my life, thoughts about the abundance/absence of money rarely enter my head. I'm blessed enough to have family and friends that would never let me down.

Lately though, I've been thinking about the energy of money. Why does money come so easily to some people? Why is attaining it so difficult for others? I'm not talking about problems/solutions around socioeconomic status, access to education etc - these things are apparent. I'm talking about a situation like mine - I'm university educated, literate and have access to virtually anything I could want. Yet, I don't have the abundance of money that I'd like to see in my life.

Carolyn Myss says that:
Money is a neutral substance that flows into and out of our lives, taking its direction from our intentions regarding it. It is those intentions that alter the neutral energy of money. We often allow money to substitute for life energy, frequently with negative consequences. The result being, every dollar we spend becomes an unconscious expenditure of energy. Scarcity of money can translate into a scarcity of energy in the body.

The challenge is to achieve a relationship with money that is separate from your life force. The more impersonal your relationship with money is, the more likely you are to direct its energy appropriately in your life.

Natural Abundance

An organic and healthy relationship to money is natural abundance. Here are the steps to bring this energy to your life:

1. View money as simply another kind of energy that flows into and out of your life.
2. Maintain a relationship with money that is without guilt.
3. Operate from the viewpoint that the more you create the more there is for everyone.
4. Get past the outdated notion that one must be poor to be spiritual.

These perceptions must be at the core of your energy system before natural abundance will be manifested on a physical/material level.
When I examine these 4 ideas, I realize that I am totally stuck on number four. I carry with me the belief that one has to suffer to change things. The belief that having a lot of money somehow makes you evil, or complicit in THE SYSTEM. Which means, I guess, that I have a problem with THE SYSTEM. I'm sure this is rooted in years of critical sociological theory courses in university, particularly around the concept of hegemony, which essentially teaches that there are those with and those without - the haves and have-nots. The haves control social and economic structures for their own gain. In other words, in the pursuit of power and ultimately money. (Yes, I definitely reside on the left hand side of the political spectrum).

I am however trying to get past this idea. It is outdated. Rationally, I know that while money can be a corrupting influence, it doesn't HAVE to be. For example, Oprah's a gazillionaire, and I don't think she's evil. In fact, having that kind of money, gives you the power to create a lot of positive change in the world. A lot more than if you can barely pay your bills!

Money can be a force for good. Money can be a force for good. Money can be a force for good. Money can be a force for good. Money can be a force for good. Money can be a force for good.

Maybe if I say it enough, I'll start to believe it...

1 comment:

Mel said...

I can see that about you (#4) for sure. I think I am stuck on #1 and #2.