Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Tyranny & Fantasy Hooky

This quote was on the side of my Starbucks cup this morning:

The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating - in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life.

Tyranny of the internal critic.

Rational hesitation.

I like that. As someone who lets her head get in the way far too much, this really rang true. Rational hesitation is fear. It has been said that there are only 2 real emotions - love and fear - and that the broad scope of all other human emotions boil down to one or the other. Rage, despair and sadness - these all fall into the fear category. Gratitude, happiness and compassion - these all fall into the love category. I know what I aspire to, but I must admit, it is extremely difficult at times. I suppose the point is to not give in to despair...which would be fear, I suppose. These things are so confusing sometimes....

Furtheron, I'll play fantasy hooky with you!! Maybe we can meet at the bike racks after recess.

1. Where would you go?
Well, I'd book a ticket to somewhere I've never been before...probably Paris. I've made it a goal to travel to every single one of the "top 200" cities listed in the Lonely Planet's Cities Book, before I die. I've been to 20 so far, and am adding Barcelona, Madrid, Florence, Venice and Rome in October. Paris is numero uno, followed by New York, Sydney, Barcelona and London. I've been to New York and London already, so Paris it would be.

2. Who would you go with?
Hmm...ideally I'd go with the love of my life, soulmate of my dreams, to the most romantic city on earth, but since I haven't met him yet - any of my mischievous girlfriends would be just fine!

3. What would you do there?
Why, get into all kinds of trouble of course!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

#2, I'd come with.

Je parles francais! J'aimes les pains au chocolat, oh la la!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Shellz! You're doing a tour of Europe in October?! Dude, that is like my dream! I've always wanted to visit those places, since I can remember...why are you going? Is it a business or pleasure trip?

Anonymous said...

Now that is a quote I have to store away.

Bizzare isn't it - I live in Europe but have not traveled much of it. Mostly cos I'm not a great traveller. But Spain - on my list of places to go but never been there mad isn't it. One of my alternative fantasy hooky days (well months!) would be to go to Spain and travel about listen and learning to play flamenco guitar with dancers there.

Anonymous said...

Maybe that is why the Scripture says, Perfect love casts out all fear; Fear not; For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but faith, love and a sound mind. . . I battle fear all the time. I find it in such opposition to faith, faith in the One Who loves me and has given all for me, who has sustained me and carries me and Who offers so much for me. "For it has not entered into the heart of man what God has has prepared for those who love Him."

Thanks for your loving and humorous remarks. You are a constant encouragement.

So, will you come to our Pool Party next spring/summer? Hope so!

Anonymous said...

Sarah: Moi aussi!! Pains au chocolate! Bon appetite!

David: Well, that's the plan for now. Last year, I went to Vienna and Prague on business...but this trip will be ALL pleasure. Nothing but playtime for me. And if you always wanted to do it...just GO! I backpacked around Greece for a month when I was 25, and it was the most amazing experience!

Futheron: I am so jealous of all you Europeans and your ability to just travel around. Everything is so accessible for you over there. No running of the bulls for you?

Hattigrace: Awwww. You are so sweet. I would love to come to your pool party - now that would be quite a Blogger meet-up!!