Thursday, March 23, 2006

Pomeranian Man

There's a faint jingling sound in the distance, like Santa approaching merrily in his sleigh. But it's almost April, so this can't be right. Christmas is long gone and the first buds of spring are on their way. The sound crescendos, the bells floating brightly through the crisp air.

I look up, just in time to see 5...no...6...no 7 unleashed baby pomeranian puppies turning the grimy city corner. The bells around their necks sing together, as they run around a tall, thin man. The Pied Piper of Pomeranians - The Pomeranian Man.

I know this man. I've seen him before. On subway platforms. In parks. Walking down the street. And always..always surrounded by his Pomeranians. The eye of a furry storm. I am constantly amazed by the fact that I keep seeing the same man over and over again in a city the size of Toronto. If you really think about it, the odds are pretty great. Five million people. Twenty-four hours in a day. Thousands of criss crossing streets. It's unreal actually. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm sure there are other Torontonians who've met the Pomeranian Man.

Maybe he's a critical link in the 6 degrees of separation chain?? Who knows?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is waaaaaaay too many rat dogs all at once, even if they are cute.

Anonymous said...

my guess is that you see a LOT of the same people over and over again...but THIS one is easily recognized because he has a very unique feature that happens to appeal to you. so you NOTICE this one, again and again and again.

Anonymous said...

I've seen him a few times